a D’var Torah by Rabbi Capers C. Funnye, Congregational Shabbat Dinner, and Panel Discussion
As part of our yearly theme: Din, Emet, Shalom (Justice, Peace, Truth), on January 29 we welcomed Capers C. Funnye, Jr. rabbi of Chicago's Beth Shalom B’nai Zaken Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation to give the d’var Torah at this special Kabbalat Shabbat service. During Shabbat dinner, Rabbi Funnye and a panel of community members discussed issues related to race and equity in the Jewish community. Listen to his d'var Torah now!
- Dr. Marcus Campbell, Assistant Superintendent/Principal Evanston Township High School
- Eileen Hogan Heineman, Co-Director of Racial Justice Programs for the YWCA Evanston/North Shore
- Lesley Williams, Head of Adult Public Services at Evanston Public Library
- Dr. Eric Witherspoon, Evanston Township High School Superintendent
- Cameron English, Student Leader of SOAR (Students Organized Against Racism)
Rabbi Capers C. Funnye is involved in a number of boards in the Jewish community; The Chicago Board of Rabbis, Jewish Council on Urban Affairs, Akiba Schechter Jewish Day School, and in October of 2015, he was installed as Chief Rabbi of the Hebrew Israelites in the United States of America.